Deco P9 - Satellites randomly disconnect and blink red

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-20 15:09:08
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Build 20201228 Rel. 55057

Having same problem as this thread. Apparently 2 yrs wasn't enough time to fix the issue.

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/209628

Using the Decos in an old house with thick walls, which is why the powerline mesh hybrid system was purchased.

I've tried the suggestions from this prior thread, including swapping the satellite and main units. Any of the units works fine as the main, and none of them work consistently as a satellite.

I've also tried moving the satellites closer to the main. However, moving the satellites "slightly closer" has no effect through the thick walls. The only way they work with wifi connection is to be in the same large living room. Since the main unit works fine in that room by itself it defeats the purpose of the satellite units.

When the satellites are initially plugged in to their remote locations they work for a short time. The light occasionally turns white and the unit then allows internet hookup at close to the same speed seen on the main unit. With the distance and lack of wifi coverage due to thick walls this shows the powerline feature is able to support the bandwidth needed.

Unfortunately after a short time the satellite units flash red and the only way to recover is to move them near the main unit, wait for them to resync, move them back, try to use them quickly, and hope they work.

Hardly a useful scenario.

The thing that surprises me is that the powerline function can't stay synced for more than a short time. And more importantly when they lose sync why they can't regain it through the powerline. Seems hard to believe considering when they work they support high-speed operation, which shows the signals can traverse the home power infrastructure.

This seems like an issue with the syncing and resyncing of the units using the powerline system with no support from wifi. After years of the same complaints (judging by the referenced topic) you would think a company like tp-link, which theoretically specializes in these types of products, could figure out how to build a product that actually works.

Any suggestions on settings that might help the satellites be more able to resync based on the powerline network would be appreciated.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco P9 - Satellites randomly disconnect and blink red
2022-12-20 19:45:43

@JR-IT,

Theres a lot of factors that could influence the connection between devices, especially in a powerline network. 

First, is it possible that there is another large device on the circuit? Any type of device is capable of causing electrical interference. If you suspect a device, placing the device on a surge protector should limit the interference to some degree. 

Powerline Networks, as a result of the wires the data runs across, are also subject to degradation over time. Does the behavior remain consistent when the devices are moved from plug to plug? Have you tried to plug the main Powerline Router into another plug to see if this would improve the stability?

While walls can prevent connections entirely, it is usually possible to receive a 2.4Ghz connection through walls over a short distance, even if the connection is weak or unstable. Have you tried configuring the mesh to not use powerline at all to see if the nodes can talk to each other? 

The FAQ found here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2401/ states that when there is no ethernet backhaul present the Deco will use both Powerline and Wi-Fi for its backhaul, not just Powerline. I believe that the P9 has had the feature added to the Deco app to allow users to select the signal source of the unit. FAQ: Selecting your Signal Source

Options
2022-12-20 22:53:32

@Riley_S 

The satellite units won't stay on-line for more than minutes at a time. I've done many tests and moves where nothing else on the circuit would be changing. There aren't any devices on the circuit that should have that kind of effect, and none that would be turning on and off at that rate.

The whole house was refurbished less than 10 years ago with new electrical wiring installed. I wouldn't expect any huge degradation in lines in that time frame.

I've moved the satellites between different plugs and the problem persists. The main can only move between a couple of outlets because it has to remain near the router/signal wires, which can't be moved. I hadn't changed that before since it was the only stable part of the network. Based on your response I tried moving that to the only other possible plug and it made no difference.

This particular set of 3 Deco P9s was specfically chosen as it's labeled to support coveage through thick walls (due to the powerline) and have total network coverage up to 6,000 sq ft/560 sq met. I need less than that, but using the satellites on different floors than the main is the point of how the system is to be used. The wifi signal of the existing router with the very thick old walls is typically too weak to be used in the areas where the satellites are being set up. (That's why those areas were chosen.)

I'm happy to try to configure the Deco P9s to not use the powerline feature to see if they're stable with wifi only, but it's not clear to me how to set them up that way (in the Deco App). Any advice/instructions how to do that?

Options
2022-12-21 00:05:56

@JR-IT,

I am actually more interested in whether or not the connection with the network can even be made wirelessly, not whether it is stable.

When the network is being configured, the powerline will automatically take effect when their are two Powerline devices connected, you can try placing the device on a power strip to prevent the communication.

I think that either the wireless signal between the decos is so weak that when the nodes attempt to communicate over Wi-Fi the signal doesn't make it, or the network cant be seen at the current range between nodes. I found some documentation that says that there is no priority between the backhaul connections when in a powerline network, this means that a temporary lapse in your powerline stream would cause the decos to try and switch to Wi-Fi backhaul, whether it be from interference or from another factor completely.

Since there is very little network connection where you are setting the satellite units up, you may have luck simply placing one of the nodes as an intermediary step that is able to communicate with the main unit through a stronger connection. I think that this should be your main goal for improving your stability, trying to create a reliable path for your nodes to connect wirelessly to the main router. I would recommend setting the units up one at a time, and using a wifi analyzer to detect when you are out of range of the previous node to figure out the best placement.

Options
2022-12-21 18:44:45

@JR-IT IMHO

My guess what is happening is unfortunately due to the AC outlet where your main Deco is located is on the other side of the electric breaker panel. The AC power circuits coming in have one neutral and two hots. One Hot goes to the left side of the panel and the other goes to the right side of the panel. 

The Deco P(PowerLine) models use the older original type of PowerLine connectivity, which is incapable of stably or many times even impossible, to connect to circuits across the Electrical Panel from side to side. 

You can test if that is what is happening by choosing only outlets, that are on breakers, on the same side of the Electric Panel, as your Main Deco. If this allows the Satellites to stay stably connected. you can request your Electrician to move the two non functioning outlets over to breakers on the same side as the main Deco. 

Alternatively ... you can try to employ the latest generation of PowerLine devices. They can be identified by their use of the "G.hn" label in their model name or specs. This latest generation of PowerLine is able to transmit across both Hot and Neutral, allowing some connectivity across the breaker panel.

If after testing, the "G.hn" devices work for you at your original electric outlet locations,  then you will need one PowerLine G.hn" at the main deco and another one at each satellite Deco. If you get the AC outlet pass through "G.hn" PowerLine devices, you can maintain using one electric outlet for both PowerLine and Deco Power.

However if this works, then this will effectively supplant your Deco Native PowerLine functions.

So if they are still under a replacement option and the "G.hn" works, replace the Decos and get a non-PowerLine Deco option. 

Options
2022-12-21 22:12:14

@Riley_S 

In the locations I'd like to put the satellites (so the 3 units can cover the important parts of the house) they can connect intermittently with wifi-only but not get consistent connections. This is likely consistent with the fact that I can plug in the units and get a white light and connectivity for a while, but after some number of minutes I get the flashing red light.

I moved the combinations of plugs around some more and I did find a more stable connection with the powerline than I had at first. Between that and perhaps intermittent wifi connection the units seem to be more stable. Or if they're dropping periodically (which I expect maybe they are) perhaps they're recovering more gracefully between a mostly working powerline network and an intermittently working wifi network.

I expect your idea to set up an intermediate location would improve things, but then the set of 3 wouldn't cover the most needed areas. Perhaps I have to get additional nodes to cover the desired area.

Appreciate the suggestions.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 443

Replies: 5

Related Articles