Deco M5 and Verizon 5g Home

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-28 18:07:14
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.6.5

Hello

I am in the process of switching from Spectrum to Verizon 5G home

Verizon provided me with a wireless router I need to place the router in a location that is not central to the house.

I would like to connect my M5 to the VZW Should I use the M5 in AP mode or try ot use it in router mode and not use the router function of the verizon product.

If I use AP mode would i then have two SSID's? that is fine if I do.

thanks

Bruce

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M5 and Verizon 5g Home
2023-02-28 21:57:54

@fpd2dc,

You have a few options depending on what features you want to take advantage of. You can see the full comparison between the modes here: Difference Between Router Mode and Access Point Mode on Deco

In AP mode, many of the network management and parental control features are limited, as they will be controlled/managed by the router portion of the verizon gateway. You can set the AP to use the same SSID as your main network, which will result in one visible SSID. 

If you want to use the Decos Advanced Features, you need to configure the deco in router mode and disable the wireless and routing functionality on the main gateway. Having two routers on the network will cause conflicts with how the IP addresses are assigned and will cause issues with connectivity, so you should always only have one router on your LAN. You will need to first look into whether bridge or passthrough mode can be enabled on your gateway, as there are a few Verizon devices that do not let you do this and require the use of AP mode

Options