Internet slow and disconnecting a lot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-30 17:08:14
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just purchased the Deco X55 3 pack.  I'm using it to replace my old system, which was the wifi on my old Arris Surboard modem/router and a very old Airport Express and very old Airport Extreme.  I disabled the wifi on the Arris and unplugged the airports.

I have Spectrum internet 200 Mbps plan.  My internet has always been pretty stable, albeit slower than it should be.  I generally would get < 100Mbps connected to either of the Airports.

Since hooking up the Deco, I was happy to see I generally get 200Mbps+ when connected to any of them.  I have the base in my garage, a unit wired to Ethernet in my living room, and a unit wired to Ethernet in my office, which is at the back of my yard.

The issue is that the internet often seems to bog down and get very slow, or we can't connect at all.  I notice this almost always happens when you initially connect a device after it has not been online for a while.  But it also just happens randomly while using it.  I would estimate a few times every hour.  The wirelss signal is still strong, and Deco usually shows everything is fine, but you just can't connect to webpages or they take forever to load.  Then a few seconds later, it will be connected at 200Mbps+ again.  This happens across all our devices - phones, laptops, Nintendo, etc.

I also notice that a few times a day, the units will show a red light.  Sometimes they even still work when showing it.  Then eventually it will go green.  Also, many times the Deco app can't find the server or shows no internet on one or all devices, even when the internet is working at that moment.

I've checked and this happens when connected both with 2.4 or 5ghz.

I've updated to the latest firmware.  I've tried rebooting the system many times.  I also tried in both Router mode as well as Access Point mode (although I'm a bit confused as to which I should use).  Same results with both.  I tried running the Optimization scan and apply the fix.  I have not adjusted any other settings.

I'm not sure what else to try or if I should return these and get something else.  Any help is appreciated.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Internet slow and disconnecting a lot
2023-03-30 21:33:09

Hey @phillyj,

I have a feeling that this is related to the Decos not correctly communicating with your modem. I think your Deco app cannot see the nodes during the problem since it most likely switches from the local wi-fi network to using your cell phone signal when it loses internet.

First - When the behavior occurs, does it affect all/multiple devices on your network at once, or is it limited to one device?

AP Mode vs Router Mode - SInce you were able to disable the Wi-Fi, I would also check to see if there is an option to place the modem in bridge or passthrough mode. Normally disabling the WI-Fi will disable the routing functionalities, but it is worth checking as the settings are sometimes differentiated from each other. 

I would recommend taking a look at this article from our EN team as they have done a great job breaking down some of the common problems and troubleshooting steps for unstable deco networks: Fix unstable connection when connected to the Deco network

Options
2023-03-30 22:10:44

@Riley_S thanks for the response.  It does not seem to be switching to cell signal, at least not currently.  Right now I'm on wifi, but when I open the app it shows "We couldn't find Deco".  I would imagine a restart will probably resolve this temporarily.

All of our devices have definitely been affected, but I haven't noticed whether they have been simultaneously.  I'll start to check this.

I'll check if I can put the modem in bridge mode - I think I can.  Then I would obviously want to switch the Deco to Router Mode, right?  Is that the preferred setup?  As opposed to letting the modem be the router and the Deco be in AP?

One other question.  My modem has 4 ports, and then I have an 8 port switch.  My base Deco is plugged directly into the switch, and I think the other 2 may be plugged into the modem.  Does that matter?  Should they all be plugged into the switch?  If so, can i plug other things into the modem (like printers, etc)?

Options
2023-03-31 00:35:31

@phillyj,

So if your gateway has multiple ethernet ports available, only one of them may be able to provide an ethernet connection at any given time. And the setup that I think you are describing is actually causing the disconnects. You should generally place a switch after the router on your network: 

If using AP mode Decos: Modem/Router Combo > Switch > All Devices and Decos

If using Router Mode Decos: Modem > Main Deco > Switch > All Satellites and Devices

Start with adjusting your connections and switch location to see if the behavior resolves itself before making any other adjustments.

If you have an odd cable configuration with your switches, and the devices are not all in the correct LAN, they will have difficulty sensing and seeing each other. 

We usually recommend using Decos in router mode. Otherwise, you would lose out on a relatively large number of management features and your network becomes far more reliant on your ISPs modem/router combo, which may end up affecting your overall connection. Check out this FAQ to see the full list of differences.

What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

Options
2023-04-01 00:29:41

@Riley_S thanks so much. I set it up as you suggested in router mode: Modem > Main Deco > Switch > All Satellites and Devices

When I have just the modem and Main Deco plugged in, it works well.  As soon as I plug the switch into the modem, the internet goes down completely.  Any idea why that would be?

Options
2023-04-01 15:20:12

@Riley_S I was able to get one of the additional units connected via the switch.  I'm not sure how I did it, other than lots of disconnecting, reconnecting and rebooting.

But now the last unit won't connect over Ethernet backhaul.  Its connected over Wifi and no matter what I do, it won't seem to release the wifi and switch to Ethernet. I tried changing the preferred connection to the main unit but it only wants to connect to either unit over wifi.

Is there any trick to force it to use Ethernet?

Options
2023-04-03 17:47:10

@phillyj,

The Unit should automatically configure itself on boot to use the correct backhaul, and if an Ethernet cable is connected to the main deco, it should not move to wireless unless there is a disconnect along the line. The nodes are supposed to favor Ethernet connections over wireless so double-check that your connections are correct.

You may try first changing Ethernet ports on the satellite node, also make sure that the Ethernet from the satellite deco is not wired into the gateway and is instead wired downstream of the Main Deco unit.

Lastly. try moving the satellite node to the same room as the Main Deco and connecting the node there to see if there may be an issue with your backhaul.

Options