Wired backhaul vs 6 GHz Wifi backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-02 20:54:25
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 Build 20230810

I have four Deco units, 3 XE75 Pro and one XE50 outdoor. Whats the best wired set up for these? Do I need switches placed anywhere?. I have a hub connected to one of the Decos on the 1 Gbps port to increase my available ports in the living room. I also have the XE50 outdoor connected wireless to the other since I'm unsure on which port to wire it. If these are all connected with ethernet, do you need wirless 6 GHz backhaul? Also which ports should these all be conected together if possible. Sorry to sound like a noob but im new to mesh set ups.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Wired backhaul vs 6 GHz Wifi backhaul
2023-10-03 22:20:41

Hey  @Willis71,

I will try to break it down pretty thoroughly.

To start, it is always recommended to try and wire your nodes together as this will ALWAYS provide a better connection than if they were connected wirelessly. Mesh allows for the nodes to be easily linked wirelessly, where it may not be possible or would be unreasonable to wire the nodes together. If you are using a wired backhaul between all of your nodes, there is no need for a wireless backhaul. In fact, in the event your ethernet cables disconnect, your nodes will automatically transition to using a wireless backhaul.

Connecting Your Decos:

Every Deco Network is made up of one "Main" node and multiple satellite nodes. The ports on the nodes does not matter as your Decos will automatically configure the ports for your needs depending on how you connect them. You can connect a Deco directly into the main node, or you can pass your Decos connection through a network switch to "relay" the backhaul to the main node - or you can daisy-chain and connect a satellite to another satellite if needed.

Ideally you will connect your MultiGig port to your ISP Modem or Gateway for the best speeds, but other than that the ports can be used flexibly. If you have extra multigig ports available, I would recommend using these for your backhaul as your backhaul could become a bottleneck in the event of large downloads/network traffic.

As long as your nodes and your devices can find a path to the main node you shouldn't have any problems.

Options
Re:Wired backhaul vs 6 GHz Wifi backhaul
2023-10-06 23:29:17

@Riley_S 

Ok, thanks for the detailed set up.

I have an X50 Outdoor wired in my garage, i have it connected to my office node, which is wired to the main node. I wanted to extend signal to the back yard and garage  

Everything was working just fine and last week or so, now when ever i connect it to the office node, both nodes turn red and basically shut down wifi to that whole section of the house. Ive tried every port on the office node and every port(2) on the X50. I can't figure this out. Everything has the latest firmware. So , now I have to disconnect the wire from the X50, it comes up as a wireless node now, but I really prefer it have it wired. Any help would be appreciated. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 580

Replies: 2

Related Articles