Parental control shortened list

2024-02-16 12:51:13
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

The parental website list used to be extensive. Now I see a max of like 20 for top websites of today list. This is useless because almost always it's mostly Google API backends and unless a child spends over an hour on a site, it will never make it to top 20. Please enable full list again.

In addition please give us ability to hide or ignore sites (not whitelist/blacklist) so we don't have to scroll through typical known or safe content.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Parental control shortened list
2024-02-18 14:33:58

@bsktball11ch I can agree here as well. The info is pretty much useless because yes, it's always an API or content delivery server, tracker or some software update/check in.

Never actually see anything useful. 

And like the top visited sites on the weekly and monthly only shows 10 items and most of those for all users are Bitdefender phone homes to check for updates and similar. I see Oculus/Facebook API/content calls flooding things out, surely because of the kid's Matrix helmet constantly chatting with Facebook's servers behind the scenes telling them every bit of information they can skim for and sell.

So that kind of thing clogs up and skews statistics. Softwares looking for updates, sites reaching out for statistics and cookies etc. 

I get the technical limitations/challenges there as they surely connect over 80 (http) or 443 (https) ports and so it mimics web traffic. So I'm not sure if there's an easy solution for the Deco to differentiate.

I also never have anything under blocked websites. I'm not sure if the only thing that triggers this is a manually entered "blocked websites" or if the content/security filters are supposed to do this... but either way the content filtering doesn't seem to do anything either, as I have my stepson's devices all added to a profile and I have all these parental filters on his stuff — and while I show 0 blocked sites etc— I found some pretty nasty stuff in his web history and this was after I had these Deco's and the PAID parental controls activated and set up. I can prove this by the time stamps in the web history.

It's not user error because I'm a systems administrator/network engineer of 25 years and I know what I'm doing. I deal with enterprise firewalls and similar equipment on a daily basis that are vastly more complex than anything TP-Link/Deco will ever put out.

So anyway. I think I'll be cancelling both the Homeshield premium services and save myself the $10 a month. I have not seen anything that would lead me to believe they're of any real value and there are many other ways for me to accomplish these things for free and they will be far more effective and reliable.

Options