Stuborn issues connecting to Wide Acces Network

2024-06-15 05:29:43
Model: Archer AX20  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

I am a 16 year old living in Provo, Ut and am experienced with LAN networking(i.e DHCP, DNS, subnets, gateways, etc...) but not WAN networking.

I had bought this AX20 from Best Buy late last year and had it connected to my mom's router but that doesn't let me use port forwarding. I decided to connect the AX20 directly to the modem(after a factory reset) and continued with the normal setup selecting Dynamic IP and using the default MAC address but that failed to work multiple times even trying a static IP. I called google and for my mom's google fiber the settings I set up originally were suppose to be correct. In addition, they had also verified that their end was working properly with my public IP.

I am looking for any information that could help resolve my issue. Thank You.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Stuborn issues connecting to Wide Acces Network
2024-06-15 22:48:06

@LinuxNerd14 

Sounds like the router is not getting the ISP's IP address. Sometimes the modem will not release the previous devices address. 

Try power off and unplug both the modem and router, wait 5-10 min, plug in and power up the modem and wait a bit for it to stablize, then plug in the modem and power it up, and it should now connect. 
Sometimes you need to do this a few times.

Options
2024-06-16 00:33:33

@ArcherC8 

Thank you for the response ArcherC8.

I did what you told me with the modem being powered off for 12 minutes then plugging it into my router. I tried 4 times but I still do not get a connection. If it is helpful the modem I have is Google's GFLT100 fiber modem.

Options
2024-06-16 15:46:54

@LinuxNerd14 

I assume the modem is in bridge mode and not transmitting wifi or anything on the Ethernet ports except the router. 

Does the modem have multiple ports as it may require a specific one for bridge mode. 

Try connecting a PC to the ethernet port instead of the router to see if that works. 

Options
2024-06-16 19:25:52

@ArcherC8 

The modem does only have one port but I do not know if it is in bridge mode. I have tried connecting it directly to my laptop but it sits their and tries to get an IP address and never resolves it.

Options
2024-06-16 21:01:09

@LinuxNerd14 

So the issue is before the router. Sign on to the modem and check its settings. You may need to google on how to set it in bridge mode.

Options