TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plug HS103P4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-15 20:25:48

I have Ring Alarm with Echo/Alexa in two homes.  The four subject smart plugs in my other home have stopped working and the Kasa App msg is "Device Unreachable".  Alexa also reports the "Device is Unresponsive" and yet through Alexa I can, with some difficulty, manually turn the attached lights on and off as observed through my Ring camera.  The smart plugs are clearly still connected to wifi so why is the app and Alexa both saying they are off line. What if anything can I do to restore functionality since I don't currently have physical access to the smart plugs?  Alexa is supposed to be turning the plugs and attached lights on and off to make the house look occupied.

Options
2 Reply
Re:TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plug HS103P4
2022-08-16 18:53:00

@Bohley,

It sounds as though the device is having trouble connecting to the cloud, is there any setting on your router that may be limiting its communication with the cloud? It is strange the device is still controllable through Alexa, however it still sounds like a cloud issue.

Unfortunately, the most common fix for this is to perform a soft-reset of the plug, by only holding the power button for 5 Seconds, so as to reset the network settings on the plug.

Since you don't have access to the plug, is it possible to access the network settings of the device through the Kasa App?

I am not sure if disabling the network and reenabling it would force the plugs to reconnect, as they might just lose what functionality you currently have access to.

The only thing that I could think of, if you have access to the router settings, would be to assign a Static IP address to the plug, using its existing address, so that if it is an issue with IP addressing, the issue may be fixed.

I will reply again if my team can come up with any other solutions that would allow you to gain full access to your device from away.

If you set the devices up in automation or routines via a third-party app like Alexa, do the devices respond?  

Options
Re:TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plug HS103P4
2022-08-17 16:51:19

@Bohley worked fine the first two months. Stopped working about 12 days ago but didn't notice until a few days ago.  When I check settings through Alexa (haven't found a way to check them through Kasa app) settings show connection "TP-Link," while the four smart plug mini's in this house show connection"wifi". I guess that confirms that the smart plugs in the remote house have lost the Internet connection with no way to reconnect remotely. Not good for a system purchased to add security while on travel or at a second home!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 350

Replies: 2

Related Articles