Pressing Button for Light to stay on KS200M

2023-04-01 02:49:35

Not sure if someone has started a thread on this subject or not, but is there any way when you press the button to turn on the power on the ks200m to stay on and manually turn it off? Mine won't stay on during the smart control hours I have it set for. (6pm to 6am) or is there something I'm missing? I believe it was working prior to a firmware update that came out last week. 

Options
26 Reply
Re:Pressing Button for Light to stay on KS200M
2023-04-06 09:52:02

@rgamino13 

Hi,
The problem may be related to your smart control settings. You can refer to the link below to check if you have configured the smart control feature properly.
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/3154/
And you can check if the smart control settings conflict with other settings, such as the Schedule settings.
Best Regards

Options
2023-06-27 23:18:52

@rgamino13 Looks to me like they got rid of this option with the firmware 1.0.11.  I also relied on the ability to have the switch turn the lights on when it detected motion and turn them off after motion was no longer detected AND the ability to turn the lights on manually at the switch if I wanted the lights to remain on until I turned them off manually.  This manual option worked before the firmware update and did NOT work after the firmware update. And, the instructions that are being given by TP-Link personnel in this forum regarding using so-called "Smart Control" setting does NOT return this feature.  Using Smart Control to restore this Manual Off feature requires that you turn off the motion off feature, so you can have either one or the other, but not both. I contacted tp-link directly about this and they gave me the same run-around regarding Smart Control and they asked me if it stayed on if I used the app to turn the light on (shouldn't they know the answer, and btw the answer is NO, if motion sensing is on for turning the light off, the light will turn off anytime no motion is sensed, regardless of how the light was initially turned on).

Options
2023-06-29 11:11:50

@Osugrad 

Hi,
If the KS200M has enabled the Smart Control feature on the Kasa app with the settings turn on/off the light when detecting motion or not, manually turning on the switch will keep the ON status or not, depending on if the Smart Control rule is triggered.

For example, if the Smart Control rule is that turning on the light when motion is detected and turning off the light when there is no motion for two minutes all the time. Generally, if you move in front of the switch to turn on the light manually, the motion is detected, and the Smart Control rule takes effect, and then the light will turn off if there is no motion for two minutes.
If you turn on the light via the Kasa app and the switch does not detect any motion, the Smart Control rule is not taking effect, and the light will stay on. However, if any other motions trigger the Smart Control rule to take effect when the light is on, the light will turn off if there is no motion for two minutes. Hope this explanation will help you.

And if it's confirmed no motion is detected by the switch, but the light turns off automatically, please go to the Kasa app>Smart page to check if any smart action entry is added.

Best Regards

Options
2023-06-29 16:12:46

@Solla-topee 

Here's the way I want to set up my switch:

1.  When motion is detected, I want the light to come on and after motion is no longer detected, I want the light to turn off;

AND

2.  I also want the ability to turn the light on manually and have it stay on until I turn it off manually.

In my situation, I installed the switch in my garage.  When I enter my garage, I want the motion sensor to turn the light on and when I leave the garage I want the motion sensor to realize this and turn the light off.  BUT, when I know that I will be in the garage for an extended period of time I want to be able to turn the light on manually at the switch and have the light remain on until I manually turn it off.

I purchased and installed my switch in January of 2023 and the switch worked EXACTLY as I described above without me having to do anything with smart controls.

BUT, following a firmware update sometime after I installed the switch, the switch stopped working this way and it now appears impossible for the switch to work as it did before.  (My switch is using firmware 1.0.11 now).

Based on what you said in your reply to me, if I have motion sensing turned on, regardless of how I activate the switch (manually or by motion), it will ALWAYS turn off after it no longer detects motion.  If I am misunderstanding this, then please tell me the precise steps I have to follow in order to get my switch to work the way it did when I purchased it.

Initially, I rated this switch 5 out of 5 stars on Amazon, but with the firmware change I changed my rating to 1 out of 5 and no longer recommend this switch. If possible I would return this switch for a refund, but that is no longer an option since the Amazon return window closed in February 2023.  If TP-Link would like to refund my purchase, I would gladly return it to you.

Options
2023-06-30 09:55:07

@Osugrad 

Hi, 
Currently, the KS200M can meet the inquiry "When motion is detected, I want the light to come on and after motion is no longer detected, I want the light to turn off", while the feature "turn the light on manually and have it stay on until I turn it off manually" is unreasonable to exist since it may conflict with the Smart Control rule on the KS200M. For example, after turning on the KS200M manually, the KS200M can still detect the motions, but the Smart Control rule can't take effect because the KS200M can only be turned off manually.
We have updated the firmware to the KS200M to optimize the feature that manually on/off the switch leads Smart Control rule does not take effect. If you want the light stays on after you turn it on manually, it's suggested to turn off the Smart Control feature on the Kasa app.

Best Regards

Options
2023-07-01 16:04:44

@Solla-topee You say that what I want to do with my KS200M switch is "unreasonable" yet this is exactly how this KS200M switch worked when I purchased and installed it. It was your firmware "update" that removed the functionality that I wanted, expected, and had when I purchased the KS200M switch.  So, now that you are saying that the functionality that I expected and had prior to the firmware "update" is now "unreasonable", please advise me as to how I go about returning this switch for a refund.

Options
2023-07-05 09:58:05

@Osugrad 

Hi,
After discussing with you and understanding your usage scenario, I notice that we may need to consider more usage scenarios and improve the functions of the smart switch. 
Thank you very much for your feedback and feature request, and while I don't have any specific details that I can share about if the feature can come to the product or when it might, I'll log your case and usage scenario and forward it to the related team to evaluate if add the feature to the smart switch. Please pay attention to the release notes in the new firmware in the future and keep your firmware up to date.

Best Regards

Options
2023-09-25 04:22:34

@rgamino13 Another feature that I would like to see is the ability to change the time it takes the switch to time out and turn off.  Currently I think it is 1-2 minutes, I'd like to make that 5-7 minutes.

Options
2023-11-09 13:39:21 - last edited 2023-11-09 13:45:21

@Solla-topee There are 100's or examples of needing motion on/off at night and also a manual override.

In the garage at night - you're usually there for a few minutes but what about when you're working in there at night.

Our bedroom, we're often in/out (haha).. but when we're in for a while reading a book etc, we want the light to stay on by switch or the app (other times we're not in there long) before bedtime.

A hallway light - sometimes needs to be on and maybe most other times you're just passing through.

Basement lights - at night maybe just down there for a minute and other times there for a while.

It sucks when the feature of a motion light can't be overridden when it needs to stay on -as it was initially and would seem a basic/widespread situation for most users.

This is a valid update that people have asked for, for over a year.

(edit: the list goes on.. My mom has this is her closet as she's often only in the closet (haha x2) for a few moments but there are times when she's in there for a bit (it's a walk-in) - again, countless reasons to have an override on/off during a motion schedule)

Options
2023-11-10 10:25:54

@MikeyS 

Hi,
Thank you very much for your feedback and usage scenario description, I'll log your feature request and pass it along to the related team to evaluate.

Best Regards

Options