Missing basic security feature/option to get notifications only if the camera is 'Alarm'ed/armed?

Missing basic security feature/option to get notifications only if the camera is 'Alarm'ed/armed?

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: Tapo C125  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a new Tapo C125, freshly out of the box, and with the firmware updated to the most recent as of yesterday. Unfortunately, this camera is actually not usable for home security!

Either

• I have notifications on, and then I get notifications whenever there is a "detection" event -- e.g. when I am home and walk by the camera.

OR

• I have to turn off the notifications (for "Detections"), but then I get no notifications at all, even after I leave the house, even though I have turned on the "Alarm" setting, and the alarm goes off.

I have looked through all the settings and options for the "Notifications" and for the "Alarm" and there is no combination of settings to change this.

In other words, how do I only get notifications only if there is a "Detection" at the same time that the "Alarm" is on?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Missing basic security feature/option to get notifications only if the camera is 'Alarm'ed/armed?-Solution

@eccbasketweaver,

I do not think that there is currently a way to automatically make the changeover the way that you described. However, you can automate the privacy mode of the cameras to prevent detections. Many will automate the privacy mode using their phone's geolocation or they will use the notification or detection schedules to limit the times at which notifications are given.

There are two detection modes, Home and Away, that will help you with the functionality you are looking for. However, there is no current way to automatically enable one or the other. The only way to activate these modes is from the top of the camera homepage.

I will say that after looking through a few other related threads, it appears that the ability is somewhat possible through third-party integrations such as Smartthings and you may also be able to create a  Tapo Smart Action that will trigger the Alarm/Play a Sound AND Send a Custom Notification to your phone from the smart action, rather than the in-built notification system. Smart Actions and Shortcuts can be triggered in a few different ways and are generally more flexible. This could then be automated far easier.

I will, however, make sure to forward the request that the alarm should be given its own notification option, as using Smart Actions to do this may get complicated with multiple cameras.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Missing basic security feature/option to get notifications only if the camera is 'Alarm'ed/armed?-Solution

@eccbasketweaver,

I do not think that there is currently a way to automatically make the changeover the way that you described. However, you can automate the privacy mode of the cameras to prevent detections. Many will automate the privacy mode using their phone's geolocation or they will use the notification or detection schedules to limit the times at which notifications are given.

There are two detection modes, Home and Away, that will help you with the functionality you are looking for. However, there is no current way to automatically enable one or the other. The only way to activate these modes is from the top of the camera homepage.

I will say that after looking through a few other related threads, it appears that the ability is somewhat possible through third-party integrations such as Smartthings and you may also be able to create a  Tapo Smart Action that will trigger the Alarm/Play a Sound AND Send a Custom Notification to your phone from the smart action, rather than the in-built notification system. Smart Actions and Shortcuts can be triggered in a few different ways and are generally more flexible. This could then be automated far easier.

I will, however, make sure to forward the request that the alarm should be given its own notification option, as using Smart Actions to do this may get complicated with multiple cameras.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Missing basic security feature/option to get notifications only if the camera is 'Alarm'ed/armed?

@Riley_S Thank you for thoughtfully addressing my question, your reply, and information!

The "Home" and "Away" detection modes actually get me 99% of what I was seeking/intending!

With the ability to activate the Alarm setting in the 'Away' mode, and have Notifications enabled only while in 'Away' mode also, then essentially I have linked the two.  And then, correspondingly, both the Alarm and Notifications are off for me in 'Home' mode (but I keep Detection going/active all the time, just to record events, etc).

The issue now is a user interface challenge, because I didn't think to poke around that left-side "drawer" in the app (I'm on an Android device), to think there would be any special options under the "Camera" category. Now that I know that is there, I will go there to toggle between Home and Away modes, but this setting really shouldn't be tucked away behind multiple taps / interactions, in my opinion.

With possible integrations, though, I might also be able to just automate the switch between Home/Away, and this would hopefully be an integration/automation that doesn't need to get too much into the weeds with Smart Actions, custom notifications, etc.

Update: Unfortunately Samsung SmartThings cannot automate the Tapo camera settings for 'Home' and 'Away'

Options