Matter and TP-Link: What is Matter? What Devices are Compatible with Matter?

Used Products:
× 1
General Product

89b027d4007049ee9c13061efe10576c

TP-Link has always valued the experiences that we provide our users, from setup to daily use. For many, this also means controlling your devices with another platform or using the latest features for the best performance.

What is the Matter Protocol?

The Matter Protocol is a communication protocol being developed and supported by most smart home brands to encourage the interoperability of devices between brands, increase the control of smart homes across platforms, and provide a unified structure for device-to-device local communication.

TP-Link has already joined Google, Silicon Labs, Apple, Samsung, IKEA, Wyze, and Amazon in developing and implementing the matter protocol into our smart devices.

63924d936d024235afad33ace5924a08

The standard is still in its infancy and has only been in development since 2019, while technologies such as Wi-Fi and Zigbee have been in development for over 20 years. Despite this, the protocol has already made tremendous progress in creating a unified smart home – and is making leaps and bounds with each update.

e0fcf77cd75946aeb6b96c19578490bc

Matter Allows You to Control All Your Devices, No Matter the Method of Communication

What Does Matter Do for My Smart Devices?

Matter standardizes "attributes" and commands for device types, allowing smart devices from different manufacturers to communicate using the Matter Protocol. Because the protocol is present on your network as an “application protocol,” your Matter Controller will be able to connect devices at all levels using a variety of compatible technologies, such as Thread or Matter Bridges, such as the Tapo Sub-G Smart Hubs.

In short, this means you can take your Matter-Compatible Device and add it directly to a Smart Home platform that you already use, such as Google Home, SmartThings, Alexa, or Home Assistant – removing the hassle of needing an internet connection or linking to cloud accounts.

b67f7f2433a74a00b88222074a918673

Key Features of the Matter Protcol

c4a88f71ddcc4c54b0c943694d5f20dc Certification - The testing and certification process that Matter devices must undergo is directly tied to the device’s use of the Matter logo.  

If you see the Matter logo on a device’s package, you can be assured that the device has met all the requirements of the protocol and has been certified for use with Matter.

Multi-Admin Control—Matter Devices can receive and send commands from multiple connected controllers simultaneously.

Interoperability Between Smart Home Platforms – Compatible Devices can be added to any Matter-Compatible Platform

Local Control and Communication with Devices – Devices Do Not Need to Communicate with the Internet; and all Traffic stays local to your network.

Simplicity – The Matter Protocol will streamline your device’s setup and controls, making smart home technology more widely accessible.

Reliability – Devices supporting the Matter Protocol are designed to work reliably in any network, taking the guesswork out of your smart home.

Security – The Matter Protocol includes a strict set of security principles and requirements that devices must adhere to be certified. These principles focus on user privacy, data protection, and prevention of device and data intrusions.

What’s Coming Next from Matter?

Matter is being developed as a framework for all manufacturers to use to communicate with other devices.  Due to its infancy, the Matter Protocol only has base-level support for devices. For example, while Smart Plugs have been supported since the initial release, it was not until the recent 1.3 specification that Energy Monitoring was made available to Matter-Compatible Plugs.

Since Matter's announcement in 2019 and subsequent release in 2022, we have already seen three major updates to the protocol, adding support for additional devices and features and streamlining the setup process.

• Matter 1.0 Update (Oct ’22)
    • Initial Release of Matter Protocol
    • Added Device Types: Lighting Products, Door Locks, Thermostats, HVAC, Blinds and Shades, Home Security Sensors (Contact, Motion), TVs and Streaming Media Players
  • Matter 1.1 Update (May ’23)
    • Minor Update with Patches, Bug Fixes, and Enhancements to Existing Devices
  • Matter 1.2 Update (Oct ’23)
    • Added Device Types: Refrigerators, Portable ACs, Dishwashers, Laundry Machines, Robot Vacuum Cleaners, Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms, Air Quality Sensors, Air Purifiers, Fans
    • Revision and Additions to Existing Categories, Specifications, and Developer SDK
    • Certification and Testing Tools Provided
  • Matter 1.3 Update (May ’24)
    • Added Appliance Support: Microwaves, Ovens, Cooktops, Extractor Hoods, Laundry Dryers, Matter-Casting Media Players, Device Scenes, and Command Batching.
    • Support for Water and Energy Management Devices (Water and Energy Monitoring)

Survey Results: What Matter Device Do You Want To See Next?

Earlier this year, our team was interested in hearing about what devices you would most like to see next, and we put out a survey to help get your feedback on the potential for new devices, such as a three-way switch or fan/dimmer switch. You can find a summary of your responses here if you missed it.

Results: What Matter Device Do You Want to See Next?

Does Matter Work with My Existing Devices?

In general, no. Devices must be designed with the Matter Protocol in mind, as additional requirements, features, hardware, and certification processes must be completed. Furthermore, compatibility with another platform or feature may limit functionality, such as a device being a HomeKit-Compatible Device or Google Home’s lack of ability to accommodate Dimmer Buttons.

Below, you can find a list of the Matter-Compatible Devices. This is not an exhaustive list, and additional models are available across retailers – with more on the way!

Knowledge Base: Are You Ready to Get Started with Matter?

Smart Lights

Tapo L535E

Multi-Color Matter LED Smart Bulb

Official Product Overview

Buy Now

Smart Wi-Fi Plugs

Tapo P125M

Mini Smart Wi-Fi Plug

Buy Now

Kasa KP125M

Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring

Buy Now

Tapo TP25

Outdoor Smart Plug (Best Buy Exclusive)

Buy Now

Tapo P400M

Outdoor Smart Plug

Buy Now

Kasa EP40M

Outdoor Smart Plug

Buy Now

Tapo TP15

Mini Smart Wi-Fi Plug (Best Buy Exclusive)

Buy Now

Tapo P135 KIT

Lamp Dimmer Kit

Buy Now

Smart Switches and Dimmers

Kasa KS205

Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch

Buy Now

Tapo S505

Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch

Buy Now

Tapo TS15

Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch (Best Buy Exclusive)

Buy Now

Kasa KS225

Smart Wi-Fi Dimmer Switch

Buy Now

Tapo S505D

Smart Wi-Fi Dimmer Switch

Buy Now

Tapo TS25

Smart Wi-Fi Dimmer Switch (Best Buy Exclusive)

Buy Now

Matter Bridges and Bridge-Compatible Sensors

Tapo H100

Smart Sub-GHz Hub (Matter Bridge)

Buy Now

Tapo T315

E-Ink Temperature Sensor

Buy Now

Tapo T310

Temperature Sensor

Buy Now

Tapo T100

Motion Sensor

Buy Now

Tapo T110

Contact Sensor

Buy Now

Official Matter Resources:

Learn More About Matter on our Official Spotlight

Check our Official List of Matter-Compatible Devices

Community Matter Resources:

What You Need to Get Started with Matter

Bluetooth Provisioning and Matter Devices

Adding Your Compatible Matter Devices to a Third-Party Platform

Add Your Sub-G Sensors to Another Platform  via Matter Bridging

Note: We have a few exciting announcements and releases coming over the next few weeks and months, some of which include some of your most requested features from our Survey: "What Matter Device Would You Like To See Next?"

We have already been able to talk with a few of you about these additions, and we cannot wait to make a formal announcement. Until then, please note that the contents of this article are subject to change and relate largely to the 1.2 Matter Specification.

Comment

WHEN will the new Smart HomeBase Tapo H500 become availabe? -  Smart HomeBase Tapo H500, a centralized control device compatible with Matter and ONVIF protocols. 

I am currently running 22 KASA devices at my business and home. I use Alexa and shortcuts on my ios devices to control some, the KASA app for the rest. With this investment in devices and setup, I'm not eager to jump to something new, especially if it requires a separate hub. I have a Deco 55 mesh system at home with 4 devices placed in strategic locations on our 3 acre property. The entire property is covered with a strong signal that allows all my indoor and outdoor KASA switches and plugs to work.

So unless the platform will be backward compatible, I will continue to keep everything in one family, KASA!

This is a fantastic breakdown of the Matter protocol! It's clear TP-Link is at the forefront of this exciting new standard for smart homes. I especially appreciate the explanation of the different Matter updates and the roadmap for future device compatibility.

I've already been eyeing the Tapo L535E smart bulb, and knowing it's Matter-compatible makes it even more appealing.  Keep up the great work, TP-Link!  I'm excited to see what the future holds for Matter and the smart home industry as a whole.

wow nice article

Have only used a couple of Matter devices but I see no real benefit to all this hype I see every where, looks a lot like a marketing gimmick.

------------------------ Robert D Weaver Heyburn, ID 83336-7674

@britsoft5 - The benefit is almost purely around interoperability between different brands and a requirement for offline functionality when internet isn't available.

Interesting article, but I am wondering if Matter will only be limited to be compatible with devices such as plugs, switches, sensors as mentioned above or will it be compatible with other TP-Link devices such as Wi-Fi mesh systems also for example? 

The first specification, or Matter 1.0, only covered certain categories of devices, including:

• Light bulbs and switches
  • Smart plugs
  • Smart locks
  • Safety and security sensors
  • Media devices including TVs
  • Smart blinds and shades
  • Garage door controllers
  • Thermostats
  • HVAC controllers

With Matter 1.2, nine new categories were added to the list:

• Refrigerators
  • Room air conditioners
  • Dishwashers
  • Laundry washers
  • Robotic vacuums
  • Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms
  • Air quality sensors
  • Air purifiers
  • Fans

Matter 1.3 added eight new categories to the list:

• Energy management (devices can report usage or generation)
  • Electric vehicle chargers
  • Water management (leak and freeze detectors, rain sensors, controllable water valves)
  • Microwave ovens
  • Ovens
  • Cooktops
  • Extractor hoods
  • Laundry dryers

The first specification, or Matter 1.0, only covered certain categories of devices, including:

• Light bulbs and switches
  • Smart plugs
  • Smart locks
  • Safety and security sensors
  • Media devices including TVs
  • Smart blinds and shades
  • Garage door controllers
  • Thermostats
  • HVAC controllers
  • With Matter 1.2, nine new categories were added to the list:

• Refrigerators
  • Room air conditioners
  • Dishwashers
  • Laundry washers
  • Robotic vacuums
  • Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms
  • Air quality sensors
  • Air purifiers
  • Fans
  • Matter 1.3 added eight new categories to the list:

• Energy management (devices can report usage or generation)
  • Electric vehicle chargers
  • Water management (leak and freeze detectors, rain sensors, controllable water valves)
  • Microwave ovens
  • Ovens
  • Cooktops
  • Extractor hoods
  • Laundry dryers
------------------------ Robert D Weaver Heyburn, ID 83336-7674

Wow that's neat 

Matter, matters to me.

upload
    upload
      Subscriptions