Tapo Camera Shows Wrong Date and Time

2021-07-02 01:59:07 - last edited 2023-11-02 09:20:17

This Article Applies to:

All Tapo Cameras, such as Tapo C310/C200/C210/C100 etc.

Issue Description/Phenomenon:

• Camera showing incorrect time on the Live View page or incorrect timestamp;
  • Date and Time do not update on the camera;
  • Time on multiple cameras is different.

Troubleshooting Suggestions:

• Be sure that camera firmware and Tapo APP version are up-to-date;
  • Set the camera on the correct Time Zone (Tapo app > tap the icon at the top right corner on the Live View page > Device Settings> Device Info > Time zone);
  • Turn off NVR or third-party software and Reboot the camera (Some ONVIF software may affect the time of the camera);
  • Change router’s DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4  (router’s DNS server may fail to resolve the NTP server);
  • Check if the Modem / Router firewall  blocked UDP port 123 (used for NTP service);

*shared by @Tamadite in this thread "a rule blocking NTP traffic for a certain IP range. Adding this device to the NTP IP whitelist solved the problem".

• Sync time on a Windows computer in the same local network, if the computer fails to get the correct time, it's more likely the NTP servers are blocked by a router/firewall. 

How to sync the time on Windows 10: Search 'Time' in the Windows search bar to open the 'Date and Time' section > Internet time > Synchronize your clock' sub-section and tap the 'Sync now' button.

Note:  Tapo Camera requires internet access to synchronize time from its NTP servers, if the internet is blocked on the camera or the camera only working locally could cause incorrect time.

If the camera still shows an incorrect time, feel free to leave your comment in this thread, Start a New Thread to post your issue, or send a private message(send a message to @Solla-topee, make sure you've registered or logged in with your TP-Link ID in our community first) with the format 'Forum ID 269202+ Tapo Camera Shows Wrong Date and Time' and the following information, then our support will continue to help with your case.

1. Model of the router.

2. network topology: e.g. ISP--- Archer C7 router ))) wireless ((( Tapo C200

3. Do you use any third-party software or NVR to stream the camera?  If yes, what's the name or model number of the third-party software or NVR?

More Articles:

What to do if I can't control my Tapo cameras on the Tapo app?

Tapo Camera Notification Issues

Options
24 Reply
Re:[Troubleshooting] Tapo Camera Shows Wrong Date and Time
2021-07-08 12:50:53

@Solla-topee  your tapo camera is a customized act divice and is currently locked 

And s/no: 220B234001742

AND NEXT ONE

S/NO:220A016000258

Options
2021-07-09 01:00:11 - last edited 2021-07-09 01:02:36

@Saisri4553 

For camera is locked, can you share some more details? This thread is for camera wrong date and time issue, please create a new thread here for other inquiries.  Thank you. 

Options
2021-08-05 10:30:10

@Solla-topee , thanks for the interesting document, but I like my Tapo out of internet !

My solution based on ONVIF Device Manager, satisfies my needs, only with the inconvenience of having to repeat the sync at each Tapo boot!

It is a pity that TP-Link does not allow a more privileged access to Tapo's core to better manage these configurations allowing a good exploitation of the camera's capabilities!

Think about that, users would appreciate it, even if it means breakage of warranty!

Options
2021-08-07 16:09:58

@Solla-topee Nice. Working Thumbs up

Options
2021-10-18 15:27:58 - last edited 2021-10-18 15:50:05

@Solla-topee 

I have c200 (2x) and c310 for outside.

all of them work fine, with unrestricted access.

if you dont want that,

these 2 models at least,

need the following access going from your cam towards the internet:

DNS: port 53 TCP   # although mine work fine with dhcp assigned DNS, which is my router itself...

https : port 443 TCP # in and outgoing connection channel towards ur phone app..

NTP : port 123 UDP  # sync with internet time

optonal : port 554 TCP # if you want to access live stream of your cam from internet with e.g. your PC, VLC or something like that..... dont if u dont know what that is / do not need it. it involves having a userid / password going over the internet....

that is all. NOTHING more is needed, contrary to a lot of "advice" like: allow everything, put them in dmz,  and such

( and risk that bandits guess your cam password and then can see if u are at home / spy on you.... )

you can now use  all functions of tapo app :

see image / video feed

get notifications

manage cams / notifications etc etc

- from the internet

- and from your local wifi at home 

using the android tapo app. i dont have iphone, i guess it will work.

Options
2021-10-19 02:20:46 - last edited 2021-10-19 02:28:31

@due40 It sounds a good idea to examine the UDP port 123 * used by NTP servers* for camera IP on router/ modem firewall if cameras could not get the correct time, I all also add this in troubleshooting suggestions. Thank you for your detailed sharing!

Options
2021-11-10 07:57:19

@Solla-topee this is 2021 almost 2022.... A Tapo C200 is a consumers camera. Do you really expect consumers to make a deepdive in these settings?

Options
2021-11-10 09:30:35

@JensNL 

JensNL wrote

@Solla-topee this is 2021 almost 2022.... A Tapo C200 is a consumers camera. Do you really expect consumers to make a deepdive in these settings?

uhm... well....

if you allow your devices going from your local network out into the internet *without* restrictions, Tapo devices work out of the box.

so yes. its 2022, already today.... wink

Otherwise, you need to restrict them as described in the post.... deny all, allow 443 /tcp and 123 /udp going out blush

automatically is possible : frown

there is an alternative technology... uPnP, that is, you allow a vendors' device to reconfigure the firewall of your internet modem....

I would not recommend that.....  and TAPO does not try to do that as far as I know....

Options
2022-01-14 13:06:40

@Solla-topee 

good day,

I am having trouble with my 3 cameras - the date and time is incorrect

Cam1

model: Tapo C200 (US)

S/N: 22161X4000999

Cam2

S/N: 22161X4004311

Cam3

S/N: 22161X4003608

Options
2022-01-14 17:40:58

@due40 

additional:

update will not work, cams need other access

besides what I described.

i simply disable block and start upgrade

after finishing upgrade i enable block again: a work around, obviously..... .

would be nice if tp can tell us what they need for cam to update??

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 30963

Replies: 24

Related Articles