Use without permanent internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-21 11:21:49 - last edited 2023-02-21 11:22:50
Model: Tapo C310  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm considering a Tapo C310 camera.

I understand that it's necessary to have a Wi-Fi and internet connection to configure the camera. However we obtain our internet connection with a MiFi device that uses the mobile 4G network to connect to the internet, and since it's a very portable device, we take it away with us when we're on holiday.

I realise that I won't get notifications from the camera, but will it still continue to record to the SD memory card, and will I be able to access those recordings from the App when I return and turn the WiFi and internet back on?

Will all the other functionality (area definition, boundary lines, etc.) still work while the camera is not connected to WiFi or internet? Anything else that won't work?

Thanks, Graham

Options
4 Reply
Re:Use without permanent internet
2023-02-23 01:42:59 - last edited 2023-02-23 01:52:31

@GrahamPye 

Streaming Tapo camera or saving footage to SD card without Internet is possible, this requires both mobile device and camera are on the same Wifi network /one local network. This means your router need to be powered on and providing Wi-Fi signal for the camera. 

Plus thefirst -time  installation in the app requires internet.  

Some features are cloud based like receiving notifications from motion detection, remote steaming in the app, getting time stamp etc.
You may purchase one and see if it suits your needs before the return window,of course, we still recommended connecting the camera to a regular router to enjoy full features.
Hope this helps!

Options
2023-02-23 12:30:15

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for your reply. I understand that I won't be able to look at the footage or receive any notifications while the internet is not connected and that the internet needs to be on when I'm setting the camera up - all that's OK. I'll have set up things like Motion Detection, Line Crossing and Area Intrusion while I was online.

However, when I'm away there won't even be any WiFi - Will the camera still record to the SD card and will the motion detection still work?

Finally, when I went to Amazon to buy this camera I was told that it had been superseded by the TC65. Does this work in the same way as the C310? I can't see any difference between them - they even use the same User Guide!

Thanks, Graham

Options
2023-02-28 02:46:29 - last edited 2023-02-28 02:55:31

Hello  @GrahamPye 

Sorry for the delayed reply,  camera will need an IP address for streaming , motion detection and recording into an SD card locally * video compressing and store it into SD card, therefore a Wi-Fi connection is required even that Wi-Fi has no internet.  For Line crossing Area Intrusion, I can't assure those can still work without internet/without cloud service. 

TC65 and Tapo C310 are the same model but were sold on different reseller channels, hope this answer your question. 

Options
2023-03-12 18:33:51

@Solla-topee

Hi, I was very surprised to see your reply, since I could see no reason why the developers would have made this restriction. So I tested it by turning my WiFi router off for a few hours, and when I turned it back on again so I could connect to the camera I found that it *did* detect and record motion while the Wi-Fi was turned off. Now I don't know if this would eventually stop working as I only tried it for a few hours. Perhaps when the DHCP lease expires and there was no server to renew it, then the camera would stop working. I would consider this to be a bug in the firmware by the way!

Could you check this please?

Graham

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 442

Replies: 4