What Can I Do if My Camera Frequently Stucks or Reboots?

2024-04-18 03:45:38 - last edited 3 weeks ago

Introduction:

If you are experiencing frequent camera stuck or automatic reboots, it can be frustrating. In this troubleshooting guide, we will explore the possible causes of camera system freezing or rebooting issues and provide workarounds to help you resolve them.

Possible Causes and Workarounds:

1. Outdated Firmware

Camera freezes and automatic restarts can also be caused by software issues that can be resolved by updating the firmware. Ensure that your camera is running the latest firmware version available.

2. SD Card Compatibility Issue

Some SD cards may not be specifically designed for surveillance recording. You may encounter various issues when using such SD cards with your camera, including abnormal recording, camera stuck, or reboots.

If you suspect an SD card compatibility issue, we recommend removing the SD card temporarily to determine if the problem persists. If it is SD card-related, we suggest purchasing an SD card specifically designed for surveillance recording, such as a high-endurance SD card from SanDisk as in the following picture. High endurance means it is an SD card for surveillance.

For more SD card options, please refer to the following instructions: What Type of MicroSD Card does Tapo/Kasa Camera Support?

You can also try to format the SD card on a PC. Please disable the "Quick Format" when you format it on PC. Then insert it into the camera and format it again, it may also solve your problem.

3. Third-Party App Interference

The camera supports the ONVIF protocol, allowing control through third-party software or apps. However, certain third-party applications may not adhere to standards, causing abnormalities in camera behavior.

If you are using third-party software or apps to control the camera, temporarily remove them to determine if the issue is related. If a specific third-party software/app is found to be affecting the camera, you can Start a New Thread here with the following information for further assistance.
1) The model number and MAC address of your camera. You can send me(@Solla-topee) the MAC address via a private message.
2) Your problem phenomenon.
3) The troubleshooting you have done and the result.

4. Power Supply Issues

• Ensure that you are using the original power supply provided with the camera.
  • Verify that the connector is firmly connected to the camera. 
  • We do not recommend using power extension cords, especially outdoor ones, as they can pose a risk of lightning damage that may void the product's warranty. If you must use an extension cord, we recommend using a 22 AWG or thicker wire to minimize voltage drops and ensure an adequate power supply to the camera.
  • Make sure your power is stable. 

5. Overheating

Ensure that the camera is placed in a well-ventilated area and not in an enclosed space. Avoid placing the camera near heat sources that can contribute to overheating.

6. Hardware Issues

If you have eliminated the above possibilities and are still experiencing issues, there may be a hardware problem. 

Conclusion:

Camera freezes or various factors can cause automatic restarts. By following the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this guide, you can identify and resolve the issue affecting your camera's performance. 

You can Start a New Thread with the following information if you need further assistance.
1) The model number and MAC address of your camera. You can send me(@Solla-topee) the MAC address via a private message.
2) Your problem phenomenon.
3) The troubleshooting you have done and the result.

Related Articles:

What can I do if fail to stream the Tapo camera via the RTSP/ONVIF protocol?
What Type of MicroSD Card does Tapo/Kasa Camera Support?

What should I do if the SD card cannot be formatted/recognized?

Options