Ripped off by escalation during chat support?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-19 04:47:43

Did I get ripped off by a third party tech service to whom I was escalated to straight from the tp-link chat?  I purchased an AC750 Mesh Wi-Fi Extender for my home Google Wi Fi network.  I had had a tp-link before which lasted a reasonable amount of time and performed well enough, so I stuck with them.  Purchased thru Amazon.

These are the specs on my computer:

Device name     WIN-7NNFDBJ59TB

Processor           Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5300U CPU @ 2.30GHz   2.29 GHz

Installed RAM    8.00 GB (7.70 GB usable)

System type       64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition  Windows 10 Pro

Version 21H1

Installed on        ‎8/‎10/‎2020

OS build              19043.1348

Experience         Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

I installed the previous extender myself with little problem so I did not anticipate problems this time.  But after trying to follow the instructions I just couldn’t get it to work so went online to tp-link and used the “Chat Now” button.   This person worked with me a bit but then said they had to escalate the issue so I was transferred to some other service, talking to a man with a foreign accent who identified himself with some other company.  We spent maybe two hours working on this problem and I do think his entire attention was focused on my problem, he was not multitasking other calls, but I could be wrong.  Anyway, I eventually had to allow him to install something and take remote control of my computer.  And I had to patch a Ethernet cable between my computer and the Google router.  I saw all kinds of command shell lines moving across my screen.  About half way through this process he alerted me to much clutter and other security sensitive files, etc that he said needed removal.  Eventually this ended up costing me $99, which I paid thru Pay Pal.   He showed me the link to his company and thoroughly assured me this was legitimate and said he was copying a receipt and invoice to to my computer which I have not found yet.

I called back to tp-link chat the next day to talk about this and the agent spent maybe five minutes checking into it before writing,

“2021-11-15 00:02:02

Hi David, we don't have any paid tech support services here on TP-Link support. We suggest contacting that same number that you have used to contact the people who did remote access on your computer. It is possible that you contacted a tech support scam since they asked you to pay it.

We haven't received your reply for 4 minutes. Please kindly note that the chat will be closed automatically if there is no response within 8 minutes.

This chat has been closed automatically because there is no response within 8 minutes.”

The 8 minutes had not elapsed, the conversation was just ended at that point.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Ripped off by escalation during chat support?
2021-11-19 07:12:01 - last edited 2021-11-19 07:35:11

Hello @dustov 

Sorry to hear about your experience, what happened sounds like a scam.  At TP-Link, we do not charge our customers for support services, the customer service is always free. And we have not authorized any third-party representative to install or remove the security files as you described in the case.

Here is the correct channel to contact TP-Link technical support:  https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/contact-technical-support/

To avoid such fraudulent, please also check Notice of Fraudulent and non-TP-Link Affiliated Websites for more details. 

If you have made any payment, we recommend contacting the payment service provider (bank, PayPal, etc.) in first time for claiming the money back. If you paid through PayPal, please report the fraudulence to them and see if they could help hold or get the money back. In the meantime, we suggest reporting the scam to the local police or federal authorities and see if the police can help trace the money back.

Really appreciated for your feedback, I will forward your feedback to related department and report the fake website or phone number to prevent such things happening as much as possible. I will create a support email for you learn more details, please check your inbox later, thank you. 

Options