Issue setting parental controls with multiple access points

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-03 13:52:46
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.11

I have an Archer A7 set as the main router and several WR940N's set as access points and wired to the network.  I have a USB thumb drive on the Archer for file sharing.

I have a laptop in my shop that access the network via one of these WR940N's. This AP is connected to the network in the house with a pair of Ubiquity Nanostation Loco M2 raidios.  This works well for internet access, other than having to cycle wifi on my phone sometimes when going from one AP to another.

The issue:

I don't want the shop laptop to access the internet, but I do want it to be able to access the share drive.  When I set up parental control, I see this laptop name twice in the list of devices, each having a different MAC. If I pause internet access for one (the one with the MAC matching the laptop), it will not block it from accessing the internet.  If I pause access for the other (or both as shown below), it will block everything trying to access the internet through that AP in the shop.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Issue setting parental controls with multiple access points
2023-11-03 18:05:10 - last edited 2023-11-03 18:05:17

@BDuplan,

I will have to look into this further but I have a pretty strong hunch that the behavior is being caused by the relaying/proxing of traffic through the ubiquity CPE. I would try looking around their support resources or contacting their team. The two MACs are likely from it connecting to the different network interfaces, and they may have an option to disable this or hints on what to do in your case.

Does the behavior also exist if you create a parental control for only one device at a time?

I would recommend checking that the MAC address that does not match the real laptop address is not just the address of the CPE or is using a part of the CPE's MAC address. If so, it is likely to use a system closer to a Range Extender to network devices. Also, make sure that you do not have AP isolation enabled on the network/AP.

Options
2023-11-04 17:41:19

@Riley_S 

The other MAC address is indeed the ubiquity on the shop. I can't find any settings in the ubiquity interface that will stop spoofing the MAC of the PC, but I will keep digging. Thank you for your help. 

Options
2023-11-06 19:59:08

@BDuplan,

In case it helps/relates: I believe that for our REs, this behavior of spoofing the MAC is referred to as Proxy Mode or 3-Way Addressing Mode - and is, unfortunately, a setting that is reliant on hardware and affects all devices connected through the RE. Without having the Router see the specific MAC address or a MAC address that points directly to that device, it will not be able to block. 

While it may be a bit longer of a shot, you may be able to configure something similar through static routes.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 304

Replies: 3

Related Articles