Deco Firmware 1.11.0 Feature Introduction: VPNs, Bandwidth Limit, and More

Deco Firmware 1.11.0 Feature Introduction: VPNs, Bandwidth Limit, and More

25 Reply
Re:Deco Firmware 1.11.0 Feature Introduction: VPNs, Bandwidth Limit, and More
2024-03-22 16:20:00

@Vancelot,

I would expect it to be likely, the firmware has technically not yet released to any models and is only being tested on the X50 and X55 - two of our most popular models. When we see the first official release, we will likely know more about what models will receive the features. As a Wi-Fi 7 model, I would expect that it would receive feature updates relatively quickly. However, we do not make any guarantees since we do not necessarily know what features a model may or may not be able to support.

Options
2024-03-23 05:47:51

@Riley_S Will this be coming to the AX500 (The one from Costco)? I'm looking forward to the Custom Wireguard feature. I'm having a hard time comparing features/model numbers between the AX#### and the X# devices. Are they the same? I'm not sure.

Options
2024-03-23 17:16:29

Hi  @mew1033 ,

I'm no expert, so my interpretation may be wrong. The model numbers for most routes is very confusing, but there is some logic behind them.Each model typcally has 2 names associated with it. First is the TP-LINK model name, such as, Deco X55 or Deco BE85 or Archer AX90, etc. This name some times implies the hardware standard. The second name, such as AX6600 or BE2200 or AX3000, etc, tells you more about the WiFi standard supported and the max speed supported. For example, the AX means that it supports WiFi 6 or AC supports WiFi 5. I'm not sure about the BE prefix. The number after that represents the max speed of the device using all bands. There is a nice table in the PC Mag article - www . pcmag . com/how-to/what-do-those-ac-and-ax-numbers-on-your-wi-fi-router-mean

If anyone else has a better explanation, please feel free to step in.

Options
2024-03-25 17:39:07

@thebiker,

You nailed it on the head. The shorter name is technically the model name, while the longer names are technically listings for the speed of the bands on the device. The longer speed ratings can also be used as a general indicator of a device's capabilities and performance instead of having to compare model specs individually.

Furthermore, since it is only a speed rating, multiple models can share a speed rating despite having different features or a different distribution of bands - having a separate model name allows these to be easily differentiated as separate products.

• AC = Wi-Fi 5,
  • AX = Wi-Fi 6,
  • AXE = Wi-Fi 6E,
  • BE = Wi-Fi 7

Depending on where a model is sold, the name of a model may need to change to allow for compatibility with their systems. For example, all of our Tapo Devices sold at Best Buy have a different model name (TC85 and C425). For networking devices, instead of being given a unique name, it will sometimes use the 'Speed Rating' so that it can be comparable to other devices sold there. This is why you will often see a mix of device names when searching generally; however, limiting your search to a single retailer will largely show models using the same naming schema.

Options
2024-03-26 13:33:40
Will this update allow us to remove clients from the VPN client list? I'm using NordVPN and can't delete a client once it's added to the list.
Options
2024-03-26 19:27:41

@Ryan1876,

I'm have the Deco X55 v1.26 with fimware 1.1.0 20230522. I'm able to add and remove clients from the VPN Client list. It was not immediately obvious, which could use some UI improvements. In the VPN Client page of the app (I'm using the android app), Turn the VPN Client on. Then in the Client List select any cient, which will then show a list of clients that you have added to use the VPN. Then in this list do a long press on the cliet you wish to remove. You will get a pop-up saying "Delete". You can then either 'cancel' or 'ok' to remove the client. As I said, this is not very intuitive, but does work. Hopefully, in future versions the removal of clients will be a lot easier. Hope this work on your setup.

Options
2024-03-26 19:40:12

@Riley_S 

That makes sense, thank you. In this case, I bought these from costco: Can you tell me what model number they are?

In addition, I'd also like to know if they will be getting the custom wireguard VPN server/client feature.

Thanks!

Options
2024-03-26 20:11:46

@mew1033,

The model name and the hardware version should be on the label on the bottom of each unit. Probably also on the packaging. You can also find it by logging onto the Decco units web page on your local network. Google "how to access the Deco web page" for more info. With the model and hardware version, you can look up the model on TP-LINK site and go to the support section and the firmware, where you can select the hardware level you have. Note: hardware levels releases are not always numerically in sequence. For example on my X55 model, Vx.0=Vx.6/Vx.8 (eg:V1.0=V1.6/V1.8);   Vx.x0=Vx.x6/Vx.x8 (eg:V1.20=V1.26/V1.28).

Options
2024-03-27 12:46:58

@thebiker,

This helped me figure it out. I'm on the Iphone app and it's a swipe left on the client from the client list to reveal the delete function. Not intuitive at all, but at least the functionality is there. Thanks!

Options
2024-04-12 00:38:06

Hey  @thebiker !

Since my auto update does the same as yours, I check quite frequently for updates. I actually prefer to do the updates OTA. I’ve always done them OTA. I did the 1.5.0 update last week on my V1.6. I’m only having one issue and it may be I’m not completely understanding. I plan to post a question to see if it’s me not understanding a feature, that’s just how it works or there’s a way to configure it so it doesn’t happen. Also, I did stop using my V1.26 Decos. 

So far, other than that, 1.5.0 is so much better than the 1.4.1 firmware!!

Always Be Kind
Options