When will Kasa come out with a 3-Way Wi-Fi/SmartSwitch with motion?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-29 22:38:59

I see 3-way smart switches. Which are awesome. Why no 3-way motion switches? I can take two 3-way switches and convert one of them to a single-pole motion detector, but I'd like to have TWO 3-way motion switches when the switches are not in proximity of one another.

Options
5 Reply
Re:When will Kasa come out with a 3-Way Wi-Fi/SmartSwitch with motion?
2023-01-30 22:52:43

@OvalPiston,

I will pass the feedback along to our team, however, I am inclined to believe that there may be a few obstacles that have to be overcome for a device like this to release.

One, the satellite device does not receive the same type of power as the main unit, this is why the satellite box does not often have a neutral wire included. 

Secondly, the programming could be an absolute nightmare, as when one device would turn the light off, the other motion sensor would turn the light back on, thinking the dark to light was activity. 

Options
2023-01-31 11:07:16

@Riley_S Wait, the motion sensors aren't ultrasonic? They respond to light changes???

Options
2023-01-31 17:31:43

@OvalPiston,

I believe that the devices are PIR sensors, as most motion sensors are. This uses infrared reflections to see if there was movement in an area. While they are not supposed to respond to light changes, all PIR sensors can be triggered by things in an environment, such as light or a mirror, if it causes the IR reflections to be interrupted. This, however, is usually fixed with sensitivity controls.

Options
2023-02-03 18:11:29

@Riley_S Ok, thanks for the info. Looks like I'm going to be going with Leviton's solution. They do motion 3-way (and 4-way). All wifi, looks like a nice, complete solution.

Options
2023-03-10 15:41:19

Agreed that 3 way motion is needed.  I would think typically I would only put motion on one of the 3 way legs

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 400

Replies: 5