What Can I Do if My Pan & Tilt Camera Rotates Automatically?

3 weeks ago - last edited Monday

Introduction

If you're experiencing unintended auto-rotation of your Pan & Tilt camera, this can be a concerning issue.
In this troubleshooting guide, we'll explore the potential reasons behind the camera's unintended auto-rotation behavior and provide some workarounds to help you resolve these problems.

The usage scenarios of the Pan & Tilt camera rotate automatically and the workarounds

1. Patrol mode is enabled.

When the Patrol Mode is enabled on the camera, it moves its lens and orientation according to a programmed patrol pattern. This can include repeatedly scanning back and forth, rotating between viewpoints, or following a more complex multi-point patrol route.

You can go to the Tapo app> Camera's Device Settings> Pan & Tilt> Patrol Mode page to check if this feature is enabled.

2. Motion tracking (Auto tracking) is enabled. 

When the camera's Motion Tracking(Auto tracking) mode is enabled, the camera's intelligent algorithms will continuously analyze the video feed to identify and lock onto moving objects or people. Once a target is detected, the camera will automatically adjust its pan and tilt settings to keep the subject centered and in focus within the frame.

You can go to the Tapo app> Camera's Device Settings> Detection> Motion Tracking(Auto Tracking) page to check if the Tracking function is enabled, it is normal for the camera to rotate automatically when motion is detected.

3. Auto Reboot feature is enabled.

Tapo Camera can be set up with an automatic reboot Schedule within the app. After a reboot, the camera performs a self-test and calibration of the pan-tilt mechanism, during which the camera's pan axis automatically rotates itself. 

You can go to the Tapo app> Camera's Device Settings> Reboot Camera page to check if the Auto Reboot function is enabled, it is normal for the camera to rotate automatically after a reboot.

4. Firmware Auto-Update feature is turned on.

The camera will automatically reboot after the firmware upgrade is complete, regardless of whether the camera is manually upgrading the firmware or has been set to upgrade the firmware automatically. During this reboot the camera's pan-tilt mechanism will show a rotational behaviour for self-testing and calibration.

You can go to the Tapo app> Camera's Device Settings> Firmware Update page to check if the Auto Update function is enabled, it is normal for the camera to rotate automatically after a firmware update. 

5. Unexpected factors can trigger the camera to reboot unexpectedly

Certain scenarios can trigger the camera to reboot unexpectedly, causing it to perform a self-test and calibration of the pan-tilt mechanism after each restart.

For specific reasons, please refer to the article:  What Can I Do if My Camera Frequently Stucks or Reboots?

6. Camera's Sharee is controlling the Pan & Tilt camera

If you ever share the camera with your family or friend's account within the app, the person who was shared has permission to control the pan-tilt. Please check if you have shared the camera with others on the Tapo app> Camera's Device Settings>Share Device page.

7. Someone is controlling the panning and tilting movement of the camera.

You can go to the Tapo app>Me >View Account> Login Security> Login Activity page to see if there are other endpoints logged into the Tapo app with your account when the problem phenomenon occurs.

We have implemented measures, including encryption and TLS technology, to protect your data. However, if you use the same account credentials across multiple platforms or applications, and those credentials have been compromised elsewhere, a bad actor could still gain unauthorized access to your camera. Furthermore, you can use a service like Mozilla Monitor (https://monitor.mozilla.org/) to check if your email address or passwords have been involved in any data breaches. This can help you stay informed and take proactive steps to secure your accounts, especially if you discover that your credentials have been exposed.

Here are some best practices to protect your TP-Link ID account:

• Use complex passwords (a mixture of upper and lower letters, numbers, and symbols) when signing up.
  • Use a unique password different from other website accounts to avoid being involved in their accidental data breaches.
  • Change your passwords regularly.
  • Use 2 Factor Authentication (2FA):

1) Two-Step Verification (2FA) for the Tapo App
2) Two-Step Verification (2FA) for the Kasa App

Conclusion

Automatic rotation of the Pan & Tilt camera can be caused by a variety of reasons. By following this troubleshooting guide, you can quickly identify the potential causes and try some workarounds to locate and resolve the problem. 

If you need further assistance, it's recommended to Start a New Thread with the following information. 
1. The detailed usage scenario and problem description.
2. The camera's model number, FW, and HW info.
3. The troubleshooting you have tried and the test results.

More Articles

What Can I Do if My Camera Frequently Stucks or Reboots?
Common questions about the TP-Link camera's firmware
Starlight Night Vision: higher-quality image in low-light conditions

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 298

Replies: 0

Related Articles