Speed ​​problems connecting deco to a switch connected to a fiber internet modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Speed ​​problems connecting deco to a switch connected to a fiber internet modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-26 21:22:54
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.6.1

Dear,

Since I installed my new internet, a fiber point with a speed of 600 down/300 MB up, I haven't been able to reach the contracted speed using the deco m5 anymore (before I used a fiber 300/150).

My modem is connected to a switch, and all the devices that connect via cable, including my two deco ones, are also connected to the switch (or to a second switch that is connected to the first switch), and all the devices that connect via WIFI connect directly to the Deco (there is no other wifi network in the house other than the Deco ones).

It happens that if I leave the deco in router mode, the speeds reached in the entire WIFI and wired network become poor and unstable (around 10 MB). In hotspot mode (access point), wifi speeds are limited to 450-500 MB, including in the deco app's own internet speed test, while wired is 600 MB on all wired devices. Interestingly, if I connect my notebook via cable in Deco (in hotspot mode), the speed is 600 MB, but if connected by WIFI, 5 Ghz, in the same DECO, it is 500 MB. To this information, I add the fact that the internet supplier I use apparently makes some limitations in internet routing (first I tried to use a router, not a switch, and the speeds that came via cable from the router were at most 300MB, apparently limited by the supplier). This supplier limitation doesn't seem to be the problem, given that all devices connected to the switch directly via cable, or via cable through deco, reach 600MB now.

So I have a few questions: 1) can router mode be used with deco plugged into a switch? If yes, any special configuration must be done so the connection doesn't get screwed up? 2) Does hotspot mode introduce a bandwidth limitation to Deco via WIFI? I read in this forum another post that says that the unit's processor cannot deliver more than 500MB in hotspot mode. If that's true, would switching to a bigger deco like the M9 solve? 3) If you see that my network setup is very wrong, could you give me a suggestion on how to improve?

Thank you for the patience to read until the end.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Speed ​​problems connecting deco to a switch connected to a fiber internet modem
2022-10-27 20:31:20

@Hermano,

Alright so ill do my best to give some info that might help.

Your Deco needs to be in AP mode if there is another wifi router on the network. Is your modem from your provider capable of providing a wifi connection? If so, the reason the devices don't work in router mode is that your network has conflicting settings when there is more than one router on the network. If all of your Decos are in AP mode, there has to be another device acting as a DHCP server somewhere on your network.

It is recommended that the order of networking devices be Modem > Router > Switch as the IP addresses cannot be assigned by the Decos and would be assigned by the Modem/Router. You should have more configuration options on a router than you do on a switch. As such, the lower speeds could most likely be resolved by changing a few settings. Were you given any clues as to why it couldn't be used as a router at full speeds?

Switching to a more powerful deco will definitely allow for more bandwidth and stability as there have been so many developments that allow devices to communicate more efficiently. However, I haven't heard of anything about the processor limiting the speeds before.

If you turn one of the Deco's into a router, you will have to move one of your switches to after the deco, as the Deco will not assign IP addresses through the WAN port and up the stream into the devices connected to the first switch.

Options
Re:Speed ​​problems connecting deco to a switch connected to a fiber internet modem
2022-10-28 12:52:38

Dear  @Riley_S 

Thank you for your attention,

Yes, my modem is acting as a router, and I can't set it as bridge because my TV and telephone are provided by this modem (the signal receivers of the TVs are connected via ethernet cable to the switch at the moment), and as try to set the modem as bridge TV and telephone stop working. So I can assume I can only use deco in AP mode, connected to the switch that is connected to the modem, correct?

What I can't understand is why Deco is not able to supply wifi internet at maximum speed in AP mode (and the app's internal test is also limited, to 400MB) while it can supply maximum speed by cable (so that demonstrates that deco is receiving 600 MB). Another detail I forgot to mention is that I can reach full speed at wifi using the modem wifi (so the problem is not in the notebook I'm using to test).

Thank you again for your attention,

Best wishes

Options
2022-10-28 12:58:10
Another detail, my switches are from tp-link: TP-Link TL-SG108 .
Options
2022-10-28 18:16:40

@Hermano,

Ah, Verizon. If you are using their TV systems, you will unfortunately always have to use the router provided by Verizon as the Main Router. Fun fact, that router broadcasts a hidden SSID that is used for your TVs so that it won't disrupt other devices.

So something about the speed test in the deco app. This speed test operates the same as if you were to use any other speed test on your phone. The test is calculated off on the wireless signals and not the speed at the router. This means that you would not be achieving the full speeds due to normal factors such as the environment and other traffic on the network. With every wireless connection, there is also going to be a drop in speeds as a result of the information that has to be sent with each packet of data. When testing your original router, were the results from an app provided by your ISP? If so, you may have been receiving the speeds at the modem, rather than your device.

Also, since your switch is placed between your router and deco nodes, your Verizon Router, is probably trying to reserve some bandwidth for the other nodes on the network as a new device would not be able to connect to the network if there was no additional bandwidth available.

On your notebook, you can navigate to your network adapter settings and see what the "Link Speed" is listed as, this is the maximum speed that could possibly go through that connection, however, you will not be able to achieve these speeds, as they are simply based off the hardware and not anything else, such as the actual bandwidth.

Options
2022-10-31 13:07:42

@Riley_S 

Thank you again for your attention. Knowing that due to the TVs I will have to use my modem router, I will connect everything I can on cable (and get the 600MB speed) and stay with the 450 MB at wifi (I think it's enough for wireless use anyway :)). Also, I think it's some kind of limitation imposed by the modem in the Wifi (maybe to allow other connections as you said), so I won't try other wifi devices. 

Best wishes

Options