Kara Switches/Plugs Show Up as Wired

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-25 20:57:18
Model: Deco W3600   Deco X20   Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.0

Recently I added a Deco x55 to my network.  Now, several of my Kasa plugs and switches are showing up as wired.  I have 34 Kasa switches and plugs and 15 are showing as wired. Other times, none of the 34 even show up on the client list even after I optimize the network.  Other times I have checked, only one of the TP-Link Kasa devices show up at all. All Kasa switches and plugs are up-to-date with firmware. 

The main unit and one node are W3600, Vers. 1, Firmware 1.5.0; in Router mode.  Another node is a X20, Vers. 1.26, Firmware 1.5.1; and the remaining node is a X55, Vers. 1.25, Firmware 1.1.0.  The main unit is connected to a switch, and from the switch the three sattelites are connected via ethernet cables.

I have rebooted and optimized the system and this behavior continues.  Any suggestions as to how I can fix?

File:
Deco Issues July 2023.pdfDownload
Options
4 Reply
Re:Kara Switches/Plugs Show Up as Wired
2023-07-26 19:03:08

@LINKOLN,

This behavior is most likely caused by the switch in your network, but I had thought that the behavior was fixed in the latest firmware updates for the X55. Make sure that all your nodes are using the most recent firmware available to them.

Also, Are all the devices in one area? Meaning the behavior may be limited to wireless devices connecting through a particular node?

Options
2023-07-28 15:24:14

@Riley_S 

Riley_S, Thanks.  The wireless clients showing as wired issue, seems to have resolved itself.  The switch was probably not the problem since this didn’t happen until I added the X55.  What I did is I unplugged the whole system and powered each unit separately. That seemed to have taken care of the matter.

The other issue, where my client list didn’t show any of the TP-Link Kasa switches/plugs, I think is resolved as well.  I had marked all but one of the Kasa switches/plugs as “smart devices”.  I unmarked them and as I was unmarking them, they were added to my client list.  Now, all are not marked as “smart devices” and my client list shows the actual number of clients.

Maybe I don’t understand the Deco app.  When clients are marked as “smart devices” should they be showing up in the client list? Or, are they not listed and only show up in the smart devices section? If the latter, then one would have to add the smart devices and add to the number of clients to get an accurate count?

Thanks again.

Options
2023-07-28 18:40:53

@LINKOLN,

I believe that when Kasa devices are configured as Smart Devices in the Deco app, you will see this exact behavior - as the deco app will take control of the network settings for these devices automatically and will only be in the Smart Device section.

The Smart Device section of the deco app is likely slightly different than what you are thinking it is. Its original purpose is to allow you to set up and control your Kasa devices directly from the Deco App - it is a completely separate feature and does more than just classify devices. For what you are looking for, you may want to look more toward the IoT network. However, the feature currently depends on whether your deco model has received the latest 1.6/1.7 firmware update.

For the switch, i think it was a result of the switch and your Deco communicating. Not that it is a problem with the switch, but the handshake between the main Deco and the switch. What you did by bringing your network down as you did was allow the network to rebuild its backhauls with a new batch of settings - replacing whatever setting was interfering.

Options
2023-07-28 20:05:26

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the clarification. It's appreciated. 

Options